Monday, September 5, 2011

Are you feeling distant from God?


Have you ever felt distant from God?  You may feel distant from God as you are reading this post.  You may have felt this way for a long time.  You don't have to stay there.  God desires that all who are His to be near Him.  Over and over again through the Old Testament prophets, God pleads with Israel to not forsake Him, and warns them of the consequences.  Jesus calls to the crowds, "Come to Me...". The fact that you are reading this post is a way of God reaching out to you, to draw near to Him again.  So, how can we close the gap? 

1) Confess and repent from your sin of desertion. 
               a.  If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. - (Ps 66.18)
     You have moved from God.  At some point along the way, you began following your commands.  We all do this, and when we do, we need to stop.  We need to confess, accept by faith God's forgiveness and move on.

2) Pray to see the glory of God.
               aMoses said, "Please show me your glory." - (Exd 33:18)
               b. One thing I have asked of the LORD,...to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD... - (Ps. 27.4)
     The only way we will be able to see the glory of the LORD is He revealing it.  We cannot with human eyes see and comprehend the beauty of God.  We must ask and ask often.

3) Seek the glory of God.
               a. One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.
                                                                                                                                             (Ps. 27.4)
    We must not be idle in prayer, but we must pray in expectant longing, combined with seeking after the Lord.  God is not going to play a cosmic game of "hide and seek".  Read what He says through the prophet Jeremiah:
                       You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. - (Jer 29:13 ESV)

You clicked on this post for a reason.  My prayer is that you will follow these 3 steps and by the grace of God, find your way back to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment