- Christ has died for your sin. This is the first and most important strategy. If you are in Christ, your sins are forgiven and the penalty for them has been absorbed by Christ on the cross.
- You have died with Christ. Read Romans 6:6; Romans 6:8. If you are in Christ you have died to sin, with Christ. Dead men cannot live in sin.
- You have been united with Christ. Romans 6:5 You have become one with Jesus and His righteousness has been imputed or credited to you. Read 2 Corinthian 5:21.
- You have been justified by God on the basis of faith. All of these strategies speak to your new identity in Christ. You have been changed. 2 Corinthians 5:17.
Because of these four realities you are not a hapless, powerless victim of sin. You are a righteous instrument of God to be used to glorify His name as a display of the riches of His grace. Now you are able to do the next two strategies.
- Consider yourself dead to sin. Romans 6:11; Colossians 3:2. As one who is redeemed by Christ, you possess the mind of Christ. You are now able by the power of the Holy Spirit to set your mind against sin. You must kill sin. One of my favorite writers, John Owen once wrote: "Be killing sin or it will be killing you."
- Just say, "No!" Because of the Holy Spirit's presence and reign in your life you are able to resist the desires of sin to gain control of your body and soul. Read James 4:7.