Monday, February 6, 2012

The Pain of Rejection

 

 

When the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren. And Leah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Reuben, for she said, "Because the Lord has looked upon my affliction; for now my husband will love me." She conceived again and bore a son, and said, "Because the Lord has heard that I am hated, he has given me this son also." And she called his name Simeon. Again she conceived and bore a son, and said, "Now this time my husband will be attached to me, because I have borne him three sons." Therefore his name was called Levi. And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, "This time I will praise the Lord." Therefore she called his name Judah. Then she ceased bearing. (Genesis 29:31-35 ESV)

This was one of my assigned readings today on the ESV Study Bible Yearly Plan. (To download the mobile app visit: m.youversion.com/mobile) As I read this, I thought about some fears that I have (which oddly enough was inspired by another assigned reading this morning). One of those fears is rejection. Rejection of friends, family, acquaintances, even strangers. This rejection was the dominating theme of Leah's life. Jacob had come to Laban's house to escape the wrath of his cheated brother Esau, and upon arrival fell deeply in love with Leah's younger sister, Rachel. For seven years Jacob labored for the opportunity to marry Rachel and in an ironic twist, Laban replaced Rachel with Leah in a style that the master trickster Jacob had to secretly admire. This happened because according to custom the firstborn had to married before the second was given in marriage. So not only was she not Jacob's first choice seven years prior, but in those seven years, she was no one else's either. To make matters worse Jacob immediately, after discovering it was Leah and not her sister, set out to serve seven more years for Rachel. Leah was utterly and callously rejected and no one seemed to notice or care, or so it seemed.

The rejection and neglect of a spouse is a common practice of our day and time, also. Men, women and children are routinely neglected and rejected by their spouses, their peers, their subordinates, their students, their parents, and their children. This is even true in the church. To those who suffer from this rejection and neglect, there is a dark and lonely cloud that hangs over them. Many may wonder, "Does anybody see?" "Does anybody care?". My emphatic answer is, "Yes!". If you will, I want to examine this selected passage and show you that God sees and knows your suffering.

When the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren...
God saw Leah's plight, and in love bless her with fertility. This is important because in this culture, bearing children was a sign of blessing directly from God. In and of itself this would have been enough for Leah to be satisfied her suffering was seen by God. But the amazing thing about God is that when He chooses to bless, He blesses richly.

Leah will eventually bear Jacob four sons. Each are important, but two in particular I want to point out.

Again she conceived and bore a son, and said, "Now this time my husband will be attached to me, because I have borne him three sons." Therefore his name was called Levi. And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, "This time I will praise the Lord." Therefore she called his name Judah. Then she ceased bearing.

Levi. Levi was the father (many generations later) of Moses. God greatly used Moses to redeem his people, Israel (the name given to Jacob) from the land of Egypt. More importantly, Moses was a foreshadowing of Jesus. His redeeming Israel is a direct parallel to Jesus' redemption of believers. Also, the tribe of Levi was chosen to be priests to God and minister to the people, to offer sacrifice and atone for the sins of Israel. All of this was a result of God's blessing on a woman who was rejected and neglected by her husband.

Judah. Judah was the father (many generations later) of David. God used David in many mighty ways. To defeat Israel's enemies on every side, lead Israel in following God's decrees and statutes, and to gather the materials for a temple in which God would dwell. David also (many generations later) would become the father of Jesus. So, Judah, born to the rejected Leah, by the grace of God was the father of the One who would rescue and redeem all who have been rejected, ignored, hated, and neglected, Jesus Christ.

How amazing that from one rejected and unloved woman, God raised up so many instrumental men and women to accomplish His purpose of glorifying His self in Jesus? He sees your pain, He knows your suffering. All He asks from you is to lay it down. "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30 ESV)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment