Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mendoza Line

You may not know what I am talking about.  I'm betting on that.  I like that puzzled look on you face, even if I can't see it.  Let me explain the subject.  Mario Mendoza.  He played shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates (Professional Baseball).  Quite possibly one of the best to play the postition; defensively.  Unfortunately for him, he could not equal or even come close to his defensive prowess when he was batting.  Although he was a lifetime .215 hitter, he spent so many seasons batting below .200 that anyone who batted under that average was referred to as being under the "Mendoza Line".  (FYI. a batting average is basically a percentage of how frequently a hitter gets a base hit...33% is great...28% is good...25% is average...you get it).  This "Mendoza Line" has been the benchmark for all hitters in baseball.  It has been said that no matter how good of a defensive player someone is, if they are under the "Mendoza Line", there is no real justification for keeping them on the team.  Now you may be wondering, "Why am I reading this?"  or "What is the point?" 

Ok, here's where I am going with this.  Romans 8:29 says this, "For those whom he[God] foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son..."  This is one of my favorite verses in all of scripture mainly because it is so straightforward regarding what my purpose in life is.  To be conformed into the image of Jesus.  Did you know that this is the purpose of your salvation?  When I read this I cannot help but notice that I so often am not moving forward in my Extreme Jesus Makeover.  As a matter of fact, to draw from the baseball analogy, I seem to strike out more than I get a hit.  Sometimes, I am "under the Mendoza Line." Is that you?  Do you remember what I wrote earlier about the fact that no matter how good a player is in the field, if they are under the "line" they are kicked off the team.  Thankfully this is the point where my analogy breaks down.

I feel that I am pretty safe when I say that we have all found ourselves in a spiritual slump.  You go for days without any good solid Bible intake, weeks without more than three minutes in prayer, you snap at people, look at things you shouldn't, and lie to your friends about anything.  You get depressed, angry, sad, dejected, lazy, irritable, and hopeless.  All because you have taken your "eye off the ball" so to speak.  You are miserable because you have lost focus on Christ.  You may have even been doing all those things I said you weren't earlier, like reading your Bible and praying, and giving money to the poor, and telling the truth or refusing to gossip, and you're still in the dumps.  Why?  Let me let you in on a little secret.  God in the Bible has revealed Himself to us.  And in His self revelation He has revealed that He desires covenant relationship with His chosen people.  Remember Romans 8:29, those whom He foreknew, and predestined...in other words those whom He chose... Ok, so here's the secret (which isn't really a secret, sometimes we just need to be reminded) God desires covenant with you, not a contract.  A relationship not just mere rule keeping.  Yes obedience is important, nay essential.  But relationship and covenant that is God's desire for you.  When you fall, you go to your heavenly Coach, who by the way, won't kick you off the team... and seek His forgiveness, which He gives everytime, repent, and get back out there on the field and bring glory to the One who has bestowed glory on you. 

So, come to Jesus those of you who are tired, weak, weary, worn-out with rule-keeping, burdened by the guilt and shame of past sins you have commited and those committed against you.  Come to Jesus, those who are depressed, oppressed, and rejected.  Come to Jesus those of you who need rest, who need forgivness, who need a fresh start, who need a shoulder to cry on, who need help.  Come to Jesus and he WILL give you rest.  Come as you are!!!!  That is His call to you, COME AS YOU ARE!!! (Matt. 11.28)

1 comment:

  1. I love the "Extreme Jesus Makeover" comment. Actually laughed to myself a little - more like a slight chuckle than a gufhaw or my trademark squawk. Thanks for the encouragement. I think culturally even when among other Christians we just don't get the whole covenant thing. We're so used to contracts falling through and the parties going their separate ways. Not so with this covenant - Thank the Lord!

    ReplyDelete